The City recognizes the need to support and promote the provision of specialized housing for a diverse population, including persons with disabilities and those having special housing needs. Specialized housing is to be strategically located and integrated in the community to provide access to all public amenities, including transportation, parks and open spaces.
In September 2019 Council passed a motion to direct staff to review the City’s policies and regulations with respect to supportive housing, particularly Group Homes, to ensure that the policies and provisions have regard for Provincial legislation and requirements of regulatory bodies.
On November 20, 2019, Council passed Interim Control By-Law (ICBL) 286-2019 within Area 10, as set out in Schedule A of the Zoning By-Law that prohibits the use of land, building or structures in residential zones, for the purpose of Supportive Housing Facilities, Group Home Type 1 or Group Home Type 2, excluding retirement home, nursing home and senior citizen residence.
The ICBL is in effect for a nine-month period because of COVID-19, beginning November 20, 2019, while the City undertakes a City-wide review of the Official Plan policies and Zoning By-Law regulations with respect to this matter.
This Supportive Housing review is scheduled to be completed by October/November 2020, and will be completed in three phases:
Background and benchmarking work, review of the Ontario Human Rights guide titled, ‘In the Zone: Housing, human rights and municipal planning – completed.
- Engagement with Group Home Operators (February 27, 2020)
Public Open Houses:
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020 – 6pm to 8pm
Brampton City Hall (Atrium) (2 Wellington Street West, Brampton)
- Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 2pm to 3pm & 6pm to 7pm (Virtual Format)
Completion of a draft report
- Draft Official Plan and Zoning By-Law amendments - To be completed following the 2nd Open House
- Statutory Public Meeting City Hall (2 Wellington Street West, Brampton)
- Monday, December 7, 2020 at 7 pm
- Recommendation Report to Council for adoption of proposed Official Plan and By-Law amendments
To be added to our mailing list for future meetings/correspondence, or for any other inquiries related to the City’s Supportive Housing Policies and Regulations, please contact: