About the Program
- The Brampton City By-Design Urban Design Awards acknowledge significant contribution that city builders, urban designers, architects, landscape architects, artists and design students have made to advance Brampton’s 2040 Vision.
- These awards, given out every two years, recognize innovation, creativity, and design excellence in the delivery of high-quality, sustainable, urban built environment in Brampton. This includes walkable neighbourhoods, public spaces, public realm, buildings, and design visions.
- In 2018, City Council endorsed the 2040 Vision that transforms Brampton to be a city of transit-oriented communities – a vibrant, urban metropolis comprised of world class, complete, healthy, walkable neighbourhoods that are sustainable, equitable and resilient to climate change.
- The 2040 Vision envisions Brampton to be a ‘City By-Design,’ a well-designed city that draws international talent, where design excellence is led by City Hall to integrate public interests and serve as a foundation for transformative change.
- Recognized by UN-Habitat as a leading example of Urban SDG Cities in achieving Sustainable Development Goals, Brampton is a World Health Organization (WHO) designated Age-Friendly City.
- As one of the fastest growing, most diverse, youngest big cities in Canada, Brampton is growing from 0.7 million to over 1 million population, and represents the 2nd largest GDP in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) with growing sectors in innovation, technology, health and life sciences.
- Walkable Neighbourhood Design
- Building Design
- Heritage Restoration Design
- Public Realm, Public Space and Landscape Design
- Design Visions or Concept Plans
- Healthy & Sustainable Design
- Elements Design
- Project Communication Design
- Student Design Project
The City By-Design Award is juried by a panel of Urban Visionaries. It is comprised of design industry experts from across Canada and internationally in the fields of Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Planning.
THE BRAMPTON URBAN DESIGN AWARDS WILL BE RELAUNCHED IN 2023
City By-Design Urban Design Awards are generously supported by the following sponsors.
Region of Peel, Peel Public Health
Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA), Ontario Association of Architects (OAA), Ontario Association Of Landscape Architects (OALA), Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI), Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC)