The City of Brampton regulates the outdoor storage of trailers and recreational vehicles (i.e. personal motorized or non-motorized watercraft, all-terrain vehicles or snowmobiles). These regulations exist in order to uphold community standards.
Trailers and recreational vehicles are permitted to be stored on residential properties, provided they abide by regulations that limit the amount of storage, the size of the items (trailer sizes include any attachments) and their location. For the purposes of these regulations, there is a distinction between an exterior and interior side yard.
- Exterior side yard: a yard at the side of the house on a corner lot, that is visible from the street.
- Interior side yard: a yard that extends from a front yard to a rear yard, and borders a side lot line of a neighbouring property.
For the purposes of enforcement, a recreational trailer includes the following:
- Camper trailer or travel trailer
- Boat on a trailer
- One or two snowmobiles on a trailer
- One or two personal watercrafts on a trailer; and
- One or two all-terrain vehicles on a trailer
The only trailer permitted in the front or exterior side yard is a recreational trailer, and it must be parked on a driveway. The trailer must not pose a safety/visibility hazard and must not overhang a sidewalk or curb. Generally, a trailer in this location cannot exceed 5 metres (16'5") in length, and 1.8 metres (5'11") in height.
- For recreational trailers that exceed these dimensions, but do not exceed 7 metres (23') in length, and 3 metres (9'10") in height, the trailer may be parked in the driveway for a period of no more than 72 hours (consecutive), twice per calendar month.
Additionally, only one of the following vehicles (or vehicle combinations) may be parked or stored on a residential property in either the interior side or rear yard, provided it meets size requirements:
Trailers and recreational vehicles that are permitted to be stored on a residential property are not to be used for the occupation of people.
Contact Zoning Services for specific guidelines pertaining to trailers, boats and recreational vehicles for your property.