The Traffic By-law includes, and not limited to:

Sale of Goods on a highway

No person is allowed to sell goods from a highway.

It is illegal to display or sell items at the side of the road in Brampton (e.g. ice cream, flowers, flags, toys, clothing, fruit and vegetables, etc.) The same rule applies to displaying/selling goods on a vacant lot adjacent to a road/highway.

If you sell goods in this manner, you may be issued a ticket and your goods may be confiscated. This rule does not apply to displaying/selling goods on private property.

Ice Cream Trucks

Ice cream trucks parked on the road affect public safety – not only do they attract carefree children who may not be paying attention to traffic, but they obstruct roads and distract drivers. The trucks often operate with chimes or music which may be in contravention of the Noise By-law.

Ice cream trucks may sell from private property if they have permission from the property owner and hold a City licence – meaning the vehicles and operators have undergone the appropriate health, safety and criminal record checks.

Dumping Refuse onto a Highway

No person is allowed to place refuse onto a highway, whatsoever.

Removing Earth from a Highway

Removing earth from a highway is prohibited, as it is prohibited to dump fill or other soil onto a highway.

Bicycle Related Regulations

Vehicles as described in link, with all wheels less than 50 centimetres / 20 inches; including a motor-assisted bicycle or e-bike excluding a wheelchair, are not permitted on any sidewalk, except when directly crossing a sidewalk. For safer travel; cyclists are encouraged to use designated bicycle lanes provided throughout the City.

Also, roller skates, skateboarding, riding in or by means of any coaster, toy vehicles or similar shall not be used on highway.

Motorized Snow Vehicle

Motorized snow vehicle, means a self-propelled vehicle designed to be driven primarily on snow.

Operation of a motorized snow vehicle is not permitted:

  • On City land(s)
  • On any land, within the City of Brampton unless parcel of land is larger than five (5) acres (2 hectares), with owner’s consent
  • Within 100 metre (330 feet) of a residential dwelling
  • On any City highway (with exception of crossing a highway)
  • Unless authorized to do so at an organized, Council-sanctioned event

Contact By-law Enforcement

By-law Enforcement, Property Standards and Licensing Divisions

Flower City Community Campus
8850 McLaughlin Road South, Unit 2
Brampton, ON L6Y 5T1

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Contact By-Law Enforcement

Dial 3-1-1 (within City limits)
905.874.2000 (outside City limits)
905.874.2130 (Teletypewriter or Text Telephone)

Emails received after business hours will be responded to the next business day.