Two-Unit Dwellings

Subject to zoning requirements and restrictions, second units are permitted in detached, semi-detached and townhouse dwellings in Brampton. In order to be legal, a building permit is required and the property must be registered with the City of Brampton.

A second unit is a self-contained residential unit located within a house.  The unit may be in any part of the house, including the basement.  Second units provide an affordable housing option for many people in Brampton. These policies are intended to make units safe, legal and livable.

Why does my second unit need to be registered?

These policies are intended to make second units safe, legal and livable. Completing the one-time registration process ensures a second unit meets all requirements under the Ontario Building Code or Fire Code, Electrical Safety Authority and local Zoning By-law.

A registration system also helps the City identify the location of second units. 

Two-Unit Dwelling Registration Process

  • Zoning By-Law Compliance

  • Registration and Permit Process

    • STEP 1: Apply for registration and building permit for the creation of a two-unit dwelling.
      Submission requirements include:
      • A completed Application for Registration and Change of Use Building Permit, Two-Unit Dwelling
      • Payment of $200 registration fee
      • Payment of $1,061.21 permit fee
      • Legal survey of the property
      • Three complete sets of the drawings, prepared in accordance with generally accepted architectural and engineering practices
    • STEP 2: Complete construction and call for inspections.
    • STEP 3: Email ESA Certificate to and we will finalize your registration.

Region of Peel Renovation Program

Starting October 2020, the My Home Second Unit Renovation Program will be launched to help eligible homeowners renovate an existing second unit in their home. Click here to visit the Region of Peel's website for more information.


Permit Applications - Other Languages

Applications for Two-Unit Dwellings are now being accepted online.

See the Submission Requirements prior to starting your online application.

Click Here to Apply​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​