The Audit Committee enhances Council's oversight and stewardship responsibilities. It provides a focal point for improved communication between Council, the Internal and Statutory Auditors, and Management. It further strengthens the impartial, objective and independent review of management practices through the internal and statutory audit functions.
In particular, the Audit Committee objectives are to:
Demonstrate a higher level of public accountability;
Provide additional assurance to the public that City services are administered in an effective, efficient and economical manner;
Further ensure compliance with legislation for public reporting;
Further ensure compliance with Corporate policies and procedures;
Further ensure the safeguarding of City assets;
- Further ensure impartial, objective and independent review of processes for City operations.
The Audit Committee reports to City Council.
Audit Committee meets generally once every quarter, on Tuesdays starting at 9:30 a.m.
Citizen Membership on the Audit Committee
For the 2018-2022 term of Council, one to three qualified members of the public will be appointed to the Audit Committee. Citizen eligibility includes:
- a resident of the City of Brampton or a non-resident Brampton-based organizational or business representative
- professional accounting designation; preference to CPA
- no conflict of interest or personal business conflict
Desired competencies for the citizen members include:
- have a passion for the City of Brampton and its strategic direction
- demonstrated ability to innovate and develop strategic vision
- a hands-on, take charge finance professional with demonstrated skills in auditing and/or accounting
- a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in a complex organization
- Audit Committee experience
- excellent verbal, written, listening, teamwork and collaboration skills
Members of the public appointed to the Audit Committee serve as volunteers with no remuneration.
Regional Councillor Martin Medeiros, Chair
Regional Councillor Rowena Santos, Vice-Chair
Regional Councillor Gurpreet Dhillon
Regional Councillor Michael Palleschi
City Councillor Jeff Bowman
City Councillor Harkirat Singh
City Councillor Doug Whillans
Citizen Member Iqbal Ali
Citizen Member Rishi Jain
Citizen Member Abid Zaman