Road occupancy is any work that will be done on the road, boulevard or right-of-way, which may or may not require a road closure or lane restrictions. A Road Occupancy & Access Permit is required for any work done on roads or boulevards on City of Brampton streets.
Work that requires a Road Occupancy and Access Permit includes excavation of the boulevard for utility installation or maintenance, road widening projects, installation of sewers and watermains, and any work that involves crossing the boulevard, such as landscaping or installing pools.
During road occupancy, City staff perform regular inspections to ensure:
- efficient traffic flow on the road during the work
- safety is maintained on the roads, boulevards and sidewalks
- the right-of-way is kept clean; free of construction materials and equipment
- applicants comply with City of Brampton standards
- applicants restore the right-of-way to its original state within a reasonable time
- all work is documented for future use
Permit requirements vary for different types of work
For more information on any of the following projects, check out the links below: