Fill/Grading Permit

Many Brampton residents make plans to improve their properties by landscaping, changing the grade of the land, or stripping the land. Before undertaking any of these projects, homeowners/contractors are required to apply to the City of Brampton for a Fill Permit.

Fill is any type of material placed on land, including soil, stone, concrete, asphalt, sod, or turf. When a resident receives a Fill Permit to change the grade of their land, City staff will inspect the property and offer advice in an effort to avoid potential drainage problems.​

​A Fill Permit ensures that:

  • Surface drainage on neighbouring lots is not affected by the proposed work
  • Lot grading features such as swales and catch basins are not changed 
  • Work is done safely and complies with City standards 
  • City streets are kept free of debris during the filling or stripping process

The City may enforce compliance to ensure the work being done matches the design that was approved for the Fill Permit. 

Permit fees vary based on the work proposed, review Fill By-law 143-95 for more information.

Are you filling in/removing an in-ground pool? 

  • You are only required to obtain a Fill Permit if the existing grade of your property is being changed. 
  • It is recommended that the floor of concrete pools be broken and all vinyl, plastic and metal be removed to allow for proper drainage.​

Contact Us​​

Public Works​​ and Engineering 
Williams Parkway Operations Centre - 1975 Williams Parkway
Brampton, Ontario L6S 6E5​

Need to report an issue? Create a 311 Service Request