The Brampton City Crest was created in 1974 as the official symbol of the newly-incorporated City of Brampton. Its symbols convey the historical roots and strengths of the various towns and townships, which were combined to form the City of Brampton.
The City Crest is crowned in gold reminiscent of our British origins and our relationship to Brampton, Cumbria, England. The beaver symbolizes our Canadian heritage and the ethic of hard work.
Farming and manufacturing, the area’s historical mainstays, are represented in the Crest by the sheaf of grain and the ploughshare. The sheaf also represents the Township of Toronto Gore, one of Brampton’s founding communities. The Grand Trunk Railway’s role in establishing Brampton as an agricultural, manufacturing and political centre is depicted by the steam engine.
The majestic pine tree was selected to represent the Township of Chinguacousy, one of Brampton’s founding communities. The name Chinguacousy was chosen by Upper Canada officials. Based on the timing, it is likely a tribute to Shingwaukonse, an Indigenous leader aligned with the Canadians in the War. Treaty 19, the land on which Brampton is located, was signed in 1818, just three years after the end of the War of 1812 (1812-1815).
Crests of the Four Founding Municipalities