The Accessibility Awards is a civic recognition program that identifies individuals, businesses, and organizations in the City of Brampton who demonstrate a commitment to accessibility and inclusion of people with disabilities.
A community member, community group, or business, meeting one of the following criteria are eligible for nomination:
- A resident of Brampton
- A community or not-for-profit organization operating in Brampton
- A Brampton-based accessibility program or initiative
- An owner of a business in Brampton
The achievements and contributions of nominees must benefit the Brampton community.
Nominations are evaluated based on achievements and contributions made in the following areas:
- Preventing and removing barriers – the nature of the barrier may be attitudinal, communication, physical, policy, programmatic, social, and transportation.
- Accommodating persons with disabilities - an accommodation may involve modification of a space, schedule, or task that enables someone to participate in the community.
- Acting as an accessibility ambassador or champion - promoting accessibility awareness within the community.
- Providing employment support for persons with disabilities - creating opportunities to participate in the work environment.
- Providing exemplary accessible customer service – taking time to understand the customer’s request and offer an appropriate solution.
- Providing assistance for independent living – assisting with skills training and support.