What is carbon monoxide (CO)?
Carbon monoxide, or “CO,” is an odourless, colorless, poisonous gas.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide:
Many Ontario households have, on average, 4 – 6 fuel-burning appliances that produce carbon monoxide.
Common sources of CO include:
- water heater
- fuel fired fireplace
- blocked vents or chimney
- portable fuel fired generator
- vehicle running in attached garage
Homeowners and landlords are responsible for ensuring their properties have working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms beside ALL sleeping areas. This includes:
Test CO alarms monthly or in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Replace CO alarms:
- Replace alarms in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Replace alarm batteries at least once a year or whenever the low-battery warning
sounds. Never wait.
Know the difference between a low-battery warning and an emergency alarm – consult
the CO alarm manufacturer’s instructions.
- Signs and Symptoms of CARBON MONOXIDE poisoning may include:
- Dull headache
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Loss of consciousness or death