The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for assessing all properties in the Province of Ontario, including the City of Brampton. MPAC is located at 6745 Century Avenue, Suite #1, Mississauga, Ontario, L5N 8C9 and can be reached at 1-866-296-6722.
The City of Brampton calculates the tax bills based on assessment information supplied by MPAC. In the case of a new house, when there is a delay in receiving the information from MPAC, the City cannot issue a tax bill. This delay can be considerable, with some people not receiving a tax bill for as long as two years after occupancy. To estimate your annual property taxes, please click here.
Background on MPAC and Property Assessment
What if I Have a Question?
For valuation and assessment information about your property, call the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation office at 1-866-296-6722 or visit their website at www.mpac.ca
Assessment Appeals or Request for Reconsideration
If you are not in agreement with the information on your Property Assessment Notice from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) for the 2018-2022 tax years (non-reassessment years), you may file a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) with MPAC or appeal to the Assessment Review Board (ARB).
There are 2 separate processes to follow depending on the classification of your property.
- For properties classified as residential, farm, managed forest or conservation land:
For all other property types:
- File a RfR with MPAC by the March 31 deadline date of the current year.
- MPAC will review your request and come to a determination, if you agree with the review, sign the Minutes of Settlement issued by MPAC. A copy of the Minutes of Settlement will be sent to the City of Brampton for processing.
- If you disagree with the RfR recommendation, you may file an appeal with the ARB before the deadline, which is 90 days from the mailing date on your RfR recommendation. The RfR recommendation must be issued before filing with the ARB.
- You may choose to either file a RfR with MPAC or file an appeal directly to the ARB.
- If you do not file a RfR, your deadline to file directly with the ARB is March 31 for annual assessment appeals or 90 days from the notice date for other types of assessments.
The deadline to appeal your Supplementary/Omitted assessment will be detailed on your property assessment notice issued by MPAC.
To file an RfR with MPAC or for information regarding your property’s assessment please contact MPAC at 1-866-296-6722 or visit their website at http://www.mpac.ca or send your written request to:
1340 Pickering Parkway, Suite 101
Pickering ON L1V 0C4
To file an appeal with the ARB send a written request to the Assessment Review Board, 655 Bay Street, Suite 1500, Toronto, ON, M5G 1E5. A fee of $125 for residential land or $300 for non-residential properties must accompany your appeal. For further information, please contact the ARB at 416-212-6349 or toll free 1-866-448-2248, or online at https://tribunalsontario.ca/arb/