(April 27, 2022) – In its inaugural year, the City of Brampton’s Arts, Culture and Creative Industry Development Agency (ACCIDA) has made great strides at helping transform, support and nurture Brampton’s arts community.
Last year, the Agency saw the addition of key team members
that will help shape its growth and development, as well as six members that comprise the Inaugural Advisory Panel
With a mission to incubate, advance, connect and advocate for Brampton’s arts, culture and creative industries, ACCIDA has done just that. Through ongoing conversation and public engagement with Brampton’s arts community, they have worked continuously to build relationships, provide support and address the resources needed for the community to succeed.
2021 highlights include:
- Nearly 500 artists participated in online events, programs, information sessions and workshops in 2021 with 96% of attendees gaining new insight and perspective from the events
- $100k was awarded to 75 local artists, musicians and performers through the COVID-19 Recovery Fund for Artists
- Enhanced public art in the community through a range of mediums including murals in downtown Brampton, 38 artist and artisan booths and three major chalk-art installations at the Brampton Farmers’ Market, multiple digital exhibits in Garden square, a 3D virtual art gallery and much more
- Engaged with nearly 200 artists and arts organizations through the Big Artist Space Survey to assess and begin to address the status of creative space across the city
- Have ensured events and resources are free and accessible for all to attend and provided employment opportunities for local artists and arts workers
ACCIDA is a unique organization incubating under the City of Brampton focused on growing, celebrating, advocating for and connecting the sector through a variety of programs, services and resources. The Agency will work alongside the City to deliver Brampton’s Culture Master Plan, which is a critical link in building a vibrant arts scene and creative economy.
Effective later this spring, ACCIDA will be re-named the Brampton Arts Organization (BAO) and begin discussions on its transition to an arms-length organization in 2024.
For updates on ongoing initiatives and to review the full 2021 report, visit accida.ca.
“Over the past year the Arts, Culture and Creative Industry Development Agency has done tremendous work to connect with Brampton’s arts community. They’ve been instrumental in supporting artists as they recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, have strengthened the arts as an economic driver and are transforming the City’s cultural environment into a thriving arts scene. I can’t wait to see what they accomplish this year as they continue to have a massive impact.”
- Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“ACCIDA has gone above and beyond to support Brampton’s artists and arts organizations and transform our city with innovative art projects and installations. Through ongoing events and initiatives, they are providing the support and space needed for our artists to succeed. Brampton is a Mosaic, and with each new creative endeavor, we can better show that to the world.”
- Rowena Santos, Regional Councillor, Wards 1 & 5; Vice-Chair, Corporate Services, City of Brampton; Council Panel Member, Arts, Culture & Creative Industry Development Agency
“Brampton’s Arts, Culture and Creative Industry Development Agency has been influential this past year in helping identify, support and shape Brampton’s vibrant Mosaic. They are committed to fostering arts and culture in this city, and have laid the foundation this past year to transform Brampton’s artistic landscape.”
- Paul Morrison, Interim Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
-30-As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to 700,000 people and 75,000 businesses.
People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter
, and Instagram
. Learn more at www.brampton.caMEDIA CONTACT
City of Brampton Media Relationsmediarelations@brampton.ca