Residents can take action by signing a petition, sharing their healthcare story and joining us at Queen’s Park later this year.
BRAMPTON, ON (June 18, 2019) – Healthcare in Brampton is chronically underfunded. Overcrowding and hallway medicine are commonly seen in Brampton hospitals. Now, the City of Brampton is demanding immediate funding for healthcare in our city from the Province of Ontario.
We officially launched the #FairDealForBrampton healthcare campaign at Brampton Farmers’ Market Opening Day on Saturday, June 15, and there are a number of ways to get involved.
Brampton’s residents are feeling the impact of underfunded healthcare in our community.
• Per person, Brampton receives $1,000 less in healthcare funding than the provincial average
• Brampton has 55 per cent fewer hospital beds available than other Ontario cities
• Brampton faces exponential growth – 14,000 people move to Brampton every year, and we need more healthcare resources to support our population
Brampton needs a fair deal for healthcare. We are asking the Province to deliver on the following necessary healthcare services and infrastructure for our city.
• Provide immediate funding to support the increasing volume of visits to the Urgent Care Centre at the Peel Memorial Centre
• Fund completion of Phase 2 at Peel Memorial Centre
• Build a third healthcare facility in Brampton
Take a stand
Together, we can demand action from the Province. Here is how residents can get take a stand.
• Sign the petition. The petition is now available at Brampton recreation centres, libraries and City Hall. It will also be available at the Brampton Farmers’ Market every Saturday, and special events such as Canada Day on July 1 at Chinguacousy Park. Click here for petition locations.
• Be a voice at Queen’s Park. Later this year, we aim to bring a large group of Bramptonians to Queen’s Park to ensure the province understands we need a fair deal for Brampton. Click here to sign up.
• Share your story. Residents can share their Brampton healthcare story by following our Twibbon campaign, using the #FairDealforBrampton hashtag across social media, engaging with others in our Facebook group and emailing us at FairDealForBrampton@brampton.ca.
Full details are available at www.FairDealForBrampton.ca.
“Brampton’s healthcare system has been chronically underfunded for too long, and our residents and healthcare providers deserve better. As a Healthy and Safe City, Brampton needs more funding and expanded resources to support our growing community. We’re taking action and getting everyone involved in asking the Province for a fair deal. Be sure to sign our petition and share your story on social media using #FairDealForBrampton.”
- Mayor Patrick Brown
As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to 650,000 people and 70,000 businesses. People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.