Citizen concerns and complaints relating to matters of property standards and municipal by-law enforcement should be made at the Enforcement and By-Law Services Division in person, by telephone, by mail or by email, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Enforcement Officers perform enforcement-related duties 7 days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

For parking services available 24x7 and other vital services relating to matters of an urgent nature (for example, open/missing pool gate or fence, adequate heat, water and utilities affecting health and safety, etc.), you may call after hours at (905) 458-3424 or review the related By-laws ​on the City’s website.

If you would like to submit your query or concern in writing, you may do so by regular mail to the address below or by sending an email. Emails received after regular business hours will be responded to on the next business day.

City of Brampton
Enforcement and By-Law Services Division
8850 McLaughlin Road S., Unit #2
Brampton, ON L6Y 5T1

Southwest corner of Queen Street West and McLaughlin Road South
(905) 458-3424


The City of Brampton’s goal is to ensure that there is adherence to City by-laws and subsequent compliance with Property Standards Orders.

Once a concern/complaint is received, the steps noted below are taken to resolve the matter.

Action on a Complaint Submission

  • For Enforcement to take any action relating to a citizen complaint, the complainant must first provide his/her name, address and telephone number; anonymous complaints are not accepted. See the City’s Confidentiality Policy for details about privacy protection.
  • Information received from a properly identified complainant is first entered into the computer tracking system and assigned a case number.
  • The complainant is then mailed a letter advising of the assigned computer tracking system service number; this number should be referred to when interacting with the Enforcement and By-Law Services Division regarding the complaint.
  • A Property Standards Officer is assigned to the case on the same day the matter is received at the Office (assignment is based on a pre-defined area of the City for which an Officer is responsible).
  • A Property Standards Officer attends at the alleged offender/property owner (generally within two weeks of the date of the complaint submission) to determine whether or not the matter of the complaint constitutes a contravention of City by-laws.
  • If the matter relates to a vital service (e.g., heating, hot water, electricity, open pool gate) and is determined to be of an urgent nature, a Property Standards Officer would be dispatched on the same day of the complaint submission to conduct an investigation and ascertain if there is contravention of a City by-law.
  • If it is determined that a by-law has been violated, the Officer prepares a Property Standards Inspection Report.

Property Standards Inspection Report

  • The Property Standards Inspection Report is sent to the alleged offender/property owner(s) and contains:
    • the contact (name and number) information of the Property Standards Officer
    • the date the inspection was conducted
    • the list of violations or deficiencies
    • a description of what must be done to correct the violations/deficiencies and the number of days given to effect compliance.
  • The alleged offender/property owner is generally given 14 days or more to comply with the Report or is otherwise required to make a commitment to the Property Standards Officer as to when the items in the Report will be completed/corrected.

Order To Comply following Inspection Report Expiration

  • If the alleged offender/property owner does not notify the Property Standards Officer of compliance to the Inspection Report within the number of days specified or by the designated completion date noted in the Report, the Officer files an Order To Comply against the offender/property owner.

Options For Dealing with the Order To Comply

  • The offender/property owner holding the Order To Comply can either:
    1. Comply with the Order; or
    2. Fail to comply with the Order; or
    3. Appeal the Order to the Property Standards Committee.

Option 1: Complying with the Order

  • In accordance with the completion time(s) set out in the Order, when compliance is effected, the offender/property owner must notify the Property Standards Officer.
  • Following notification of completion, the Property Standards Officer will re-inspect the property to ensure all work was completed as required.
  • When the Officer confirms that all work has been completed in accordance with the Order, the file is updated and then closed on the computer tracking system.

Option 2: Failing to Comply with the Order

  • If all work under the Order To Comply has not be satisfactorily completed by the due date(s) and the Order has not been appealed within the Appeal period, it will be considered that the offender/property owner failed to comply, the Order will be deemed confirmed and no further appeal will be allowed.
  • Once an Order To Comply is deemed confirmed and where the offender/property owner makes no attempt to correct the deficiencies, the City may take legal action against an offender/property owner through the Court.
    • A conviction of an individual carries a maximum fine of $25,000 for a first offence and $50,000 for each subsequent offence.
    • A conviction of a corporation carries a maximum fine of $50,000 for a first offence and $100,000 for each subsequent offence.

Option 3: Appealing to the Property Standards Committee

  • The offender/property owner may appeal the Order To Comply, within the designated Appeal period, to the Property Standards Committee.
  • The Committee may rescind, amend or confirm the Order or may extend the time to complete the work.

Appealing the Decision of the Property Standards Committee

  • An offender/property owner may appeal the decision of the Property Standards Committee to a Judge of the Superior Court of Justice.
  • If such an Appeal is made, the offender/property owner must notify the City Clerk’s Office of the Appeal action.
  • An Appeal may be filed with the Court within fourteen (14) days after the Decision is issued.
  • The Court may rescind, amend or confirm the Order.
  • A Court Order becomes final and binding.