Any eligible Brampton voter may appoint another eligible Brampton voter to vote on their behalf. Any person whose name is on the Voters' List or who has been added to the Voters’ List may vote by proxy. If you are going away before voting begins in October 2022, you can apply to the City for a vote by proxy.
Proxy Voting Guidelines
- The person making the appointment and the person appointed must both be eligible voters in Brampton;
- A person shall not appoint more than one Voting Proxy; and
- A person appointed as a Proxy may only act for one person who is not a relative, but can act as Proxy for any number of relatives who are spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents and grandchildren.
How to Apply for an Appointment for Voting Proxy form
- The person who is making the appointment must contact the Election Office at 905.874.2424 or email@example.com, or come in person to the City Clerk's Office on the ground floor of City Hall, 2 Wellington Street West.
- We will confirm if you are on the Voters' List. If you are not on the list, we will advise you how to be added. You can be added to the Voters' List as of September 1, 2022.
- If you know who you will be appointing, we will confirm that your appointee is also on the Voters' List. If your appointee is not on the list, we will advise you how that person can be added.
- We will provide you with two copies of a partially completed Appointment for Voting Proxy form.
- You must make the decision about who you will be appointing, complete the appropriate sections on both copies of the Appointment for Voting Proxy form, and give both copies to the person who is voting on your behalf.
- The person you appoint is required to attend the City Clerk's Office at City Hall to have the completed Appointment for Voting Proxy forms certified by the City Clerk or their designate. The City Clerk's Office is open for processing Proxy forms between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, and during Advance Voting (including Saturdays) between noon and 5 pm.
- With a certified Appointment for Voting Proxy form, the person you appoint may vote on your behalf at any Advance Voting location, or at any location within your ward on Voting Day.