The Compliance Audit Committee receives and makes decisions on applications for compliance audits of candidates' and third party advertisers' municipal election campaign finances. The powers and functions of the committee are pursuant to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
Please note that the deadline for filing compliance audit applications with respect to the 2018 municipal and school board elections has passed. Applications for compliance audits of candidates' and third party advertisers' 2022 municipal election campaign finances will be considered by the Compliance Audit Committee established for the 2022-2026 term of council.
Who can make an application for Compliance Audit?
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, an elector who is entitled to vote and believes on reasonable grounds that a candidate or third party advertiser has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act relating to election campaign finances may apply for a compliance audit.
An eligible elector is:
- A Canadian citizen; and
- At least 18 years of age; and
- Resides in Brampton, or is the owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such owner or tenant
An application for a compliance audit must be made within 90 days after the latest of the following dates:
- The filing date (the last Friday in March following the election)
- The date the candidate/third party advertiser filed a financial statement, if the statement was filed within 30 days after the applicable filing date
- The candidate/third party advertiser's supplementary filing date, if any
- The date on which the candidate/third party advertiser's extension of the filing date, if any, expires
An application for a compliance audit must be made in writing and should outline the reasons why the applicant believes the candidate or third party advertiser has contravened the Municipal Elections Act relating to election campaign finances. An application must include the applicant's full name, qualifying Brampton address, and for the purposes of communication with the applicant, their mailing address, phone number and email address.
Applications can be submitted in the following ways:
- Email to email@example.com
- Deliver in person to the City Clerk's Office, Brampton City Hall (attention: City Clerk)
- Mail to City Clerk, City Clerk's Office, City of Brampton, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton, ON L6Y 4R2
Compliance Audit Committee - 2022-2026 Term
The Municipal Elections Act, 1996, requires all municipalities to establish a Compliance Audit Committee no later than October 1 in the year of an election. For more information on the 2022-2026 Compliance Audit Committee, please review the Council Report - Establishing the 2022-2026 Compliance Audit Commitee.
To learn about the Committee's mandate, click here.