Who can make an application for Compliance Audit?
In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, an elector who is entitled to vote and believes on reasonable grounds that a candidate or third party advertiser has contravened a provision of the Municipal Elections Act relating to election campaign finances may apply for a compliance audit.
An eligible elector is:
- A Canadian citizen; and
- At least 18 years of age; and
- Resides in Brampton, or is the owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such owner or tenant
An application for a compliance audit must be made within 90 days after the latest of the following dates:
- The filing date, Friday, March 29, 2019
- The date the candidate/third party advertiser filed a financial statement, if the statement was filed within 30 days after the applicable filing date
- The candidate/third party advertiser's supplementary filing date, if any
- The date on which the candidate/third party advertiser's extension of the filing date, if any, expires
An application for a compliance audit must be made in writing and should outline the reasons why the applicant believes the candidate or third party advertiser has contravened the Municipal Elections Act relating to election campaign finances. An application must include the applicant's full name, qualifying Brampton address, and for the purposes of communication with the applicant, their mailing address, phone number and email address.
Applications can be submitted in the following ways:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deliver in person to the City Clerk's Office, Brampton City Hall, (attention: City Clerk)
- Mail to City Clerk, City Clerk's Office, City of Brampton, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton, ON L6Y 4R2
Compliance Audit Committee - 2018-2022 Term
As of July 11, 2018, City Council established the Compliance Audit Committee, comprised of five (5) persons and one (1) alternate member (in the event of a vacancy).
For more information, please review the Council Report and Committee Terms of Reference.
To learn about the Committee's mandate, click here.