Downtown Brampton is undergoing transformation. Starting today until January 23, demolition of City-owned buildings will take place at 21 Nelson St. This location will be part of the Innovation District and Centre for Innovation (CFI).
During this time, the following areas will be affected:
• Northbound curb lane and east sidewalk along George St North starting at George St parking lot, and;
• South sidewalk along Nelson St West
• The lane and sidewalk will remain closed until the demolition is completed
The CFI will become an iconic gateway building and a key part of the City’s Innovation District, offering a new central library, a downtown transit terminal and office space.
Downtown Brampton Revitalization Highlights
• Riverwalk: This transformative project will revitalize Brampton’s downtown through appropriate flood prevention measures and urban design landscape.
• Light Rail Transit and All-Day Two-Way Go: Extending the planned Hurontario LRT from the Gateway Terminal Station at Steeles Avenue to the Brampton GO Station, and a two-way all-day GO service, will support economic growth, job creation and development.
• Innovation District: Brampton is putting all the necessary pieces in place to support a robust innovation ecosystem, including Rogers Cybersecure Catalyst, Brampton Entrepreneur Centre (Ideation and Co-working space), Ryerson-Brampton Innovation Zone (Start-Up Incubator), and a scale-up incubator.
• Postsecondary education: Continued partnerships and investments in postsecondary education, research, innovation and commercialization activities will create and fill the jobs of tomorrow.
• Queen Street Bus Rapid Transit: Metrolinx is working with the City of Brampton, Brampton Transit, Peel Region, and York Region to develop a framework for advancing rapid transit along the Queen Street-Highway 7 corridor. BRT in dedicated lanes will support future expansion in infrastructure, technology, and capacity over the longer term as warranted by demand, operational requirements, and technology availability.
Senior Advisor, Public Relations, City of Brampton