BRAMPTON, ON (September 16, 2020) – Today, Brampton City Council unanimously approved the Brampton Fire and Emergency Services (BFES) 2021-2025 Fire Master Plan, which contains 32 recommendations to ensure continued effective and efficient fire protection services in Brampton now and in the future. The BFES Fire Master Plan contributes to the achievement of the 2018 – 2022 Term of Council Priorities.
As Canada’s second-fastest growing City, Brampton has unique needs. The development of the BFES Fire Master Plan was informed by internal and external stakeholders including more than 2,000 Brampton residents, over 200 front-line staff, multiple City departments and BFES’ management team. Additionally, a comprehensive community risk assessment, an updated station location study and various pieces of legislation, influenced the BFES Fire Master Plan.
This BFES Fire Master Plan is guided by three overarching themes: safe, successful, and sustainable. These themes provide the framework for the recommendations and associated initiatives which have been organized into nine areas of focus: emergency response; fire prevention and education; emergency management; community safety; equity and inclusion; technological innovation; empowered workforce; good governance; and environmental sustainability.
Key actions from the Plan include:
• Constructing three new Fire stations to be built over the next ten years to keep pace with the city’s growth;
• Implementing an enhanced routine inspection program for high-rise, low-rise and select industrial occupancies to build a culture of compliance for higher-risk occupancies;
• Leveraging new machine learning and artificial intelligence technology to predict where fires are most likely to occur so that targeted proactive inspections can be done to reduce the likelihood and magnitude of a fire occurring;
• Enhancing the department’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts with a strong focus on implementing innovative recruitment tactics to better reflect the community served.
The BFES Fire Master Plan will evolve over time to ensure the highest level of fire protection services delivery possible. To read the full BFES Fire Master Plan, go to www.bramptonfire.com
“Brampton Fire and Emergency Services is a leading, innovative fire service, and the BFES Fire Master Plan supports the unique needs of our growing and wonderfully diverse City, now and in the future. With the development of the BFES Fire Master Plan, our team can continue to ensure that Brampton is a Well-Run City and deliver excellence in emergency management and response.”
- Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“Our Brampton Fire and Emergency Services team plays a key role in making Brampton a Healthy and Safe community. The BFES Fire Master Plan ensures we have a well-planned approach to keeping our residents safe today and into the future.”
- Rowena Santos, Regional Councillor, Wards 1 & 5; Chair, Community Services, City of Brampton
“As our diverse City grows, our team also needs to constantly evaluate and evolve to ensure we are ready for the future. Our BFES Fire Master Plan will guide us on that journey. I’m proud of the work done on this comprehensive plan, and I’m particularly proud to be one of the first Fire Services to commit to working on building a team that is more reflective of the diverse community we serve.”
- Bill Boyes, Fire Chief, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services
“We always strive for excellence in service delivery. As our City grows quickly, the BFES Fire Master Plan ensures we’re prepared to support this growth by delivering progressive fire and emergency services for those who live, work, study and play in Brampton.”
- David Barrick, Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to 650,000 people and 70,000 businesses
. People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter
, and Instagram
. Learn more at www.brampton.ca
Media Relations, City of Brampton
905.874.3654 | firstname.lastname@example.org