City secures over $45.3 million investment from Federal Government and over $37.8 million from Provincial Government in public transit infrastructure funding
BRAMPTON, ON (July 28, 2020) – Today, Mayor Patrick Brown and City Council welcomed a significant investment from the Government of Canada and Government of Ontario that will directly support public transit infrastructure in Brampton.
The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, announced The Government of Canada’s investment of over $45.3 million in four projects through the Public Transit Infrastructure Stream (PTIS).
Following Minister McKenna’s announcement, the Honourable Prabmeet Singh Sarkaria, Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction, and Member of Provincial Parliament for Brampton South, on behalf of the Honourable Laurie Scott, Ontario’s Minister of Infrastructure, announced the Government of Ontario is contributing more than $37.8 million to the public transit infrastructure projects.
The City of Brampton is contributing over $30.2 million; all jointly through the Investing in Canada infrastructure plan.
The four projects include:
• 2020-2021 Replacement Buses: Purchase of 32 conventional buses to maintain existing service levels and replace the retiring fleet.
o Federal funding: $9,132,000
o Provincial funding: $7,609,239
o Municipal funding: $6,088,761
• 2020-2024 Bus Refurbishments: Refurbishment of 300 conventional buses, including the repair and replacement of major components such as engines, suspensions and brakes.
o Federal funding: $22,243,218
o Provincial funding: $18,534,161
o Municipal funding: $14,830,666
• Replacement of on-board cameras and digital video recorders: Adding newer technologies on the entire bus fleet.
o Federal funding: $2,000,000
o Provincial funding: $1,666,500
o Municipal funding: $1,333,500
• Downtown Transit Mobility Hub: A new transit hub that will increase the number of bus bays, allowing for more service, new bus canopies, waiting area, concessions and include the requirements to upgrade the hub to hold electric buses.
o Federal funding: $12,000,000
o Provincial funding: $9,999,000
o Municipal funding: $8,001,000
“The investments announced today will help increase the capacity and quality of our rapidly-growing transit system, providing a safer and healthier transportation solution for all. With the help of our Federal and Provincial partners, we are able to invest in our communities by supporting and growing our infrastructure. Reliable transit helps increase accessibility to services and jobs, reduces greenhouse gas emissions and improves the overall health of our community. I look forward to our continued partnerships to support our community here in Brampton.”
- Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“Today’s announcement marks an important milestone for our city. These four projects are critical to our community and those who depend on Transit. Investment in infrastructure improves the quality of life provided to communities.”
- Rowena Santos, Regional Councillor, Wards 1 & 5; Chair, Community Services, City of Brampton
“This investment today, will go directly towards our community and its future growth, it will impact the lives of so many residents. Supporting a healthier and more sustainable community, when we invest in our communities everyone wins.”
- Charmaine Williams, City Councillor, Wards 7 & 8; Vice-Chair, Community Services, City of Brampton
“Brampton is home to one of the fastest-growing transit systems in Canada. With the support from our Federal and Provincial partners, we are able to offer an accessible and sustainable form of transportation to our residents for years to come. Infrastructure advancement and development is an important investment in the future of our community. We are committed to building on these partnerships to address the needs of our city.”
- David Barrick, Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to 650,000 people and 70,000 businesses
. People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter
, and Instagram
. Learn more at www.brampton.ca
Senior Advisor, Public Relations, City of Brampton
905.874.3654 | firstname.lastname@example.org