BRAMPTON, ON (April 24, 2020) –The City of Brampton has introduced innovative new processes and tools in its Planning and Development department to allow development projects to advance during the COVID-19 pandemic, while protecting the health and safety of residents and employees.
Developers can now electronically submit all development applications, including plans of subdivision, rezoning and site plans, on the City’s website. Since this tool was established on March 20, the City has received 25 new development applications. Staff has been able to process all applications while working remotely by using video teleconferencing software with stakeholders.
As of April 20, applications for residential building permits can also be submitted electronically. Building Division staff are conducting occupied building inspections (including second units) virtually. Larger Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) application submissions will continue by appointment only.
Staff has issued approvals for many developments and continue to work on the following notable projects during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- The approvals of approximately 22,000 square metres of employment space and 800 residential units.
- The City’s Chief Building Official delivered a building permit to Maple Lodge Farms, a project creating 250 new jobs.
- The Shoppers World redevelopment (RioCan), which proposes to transform the site into a new urban mixed-use community with more than 5,000 residential units.
The City issued 34 per cent more permits in March and April of this year than during the same period in 2019. Notable permits issued include:
- Maple Lodge Farms – construction value $2.5 million
- Shell, 6475 Mayfield Road – construction value $2.95 million
- 17 Knightsbridge Road – construction value $1.2 million
- 1 Knightsbridge Road – construction value $500,000
For more information on the City’s efforts to support the community in response to COVID-19, visit www.brampton.ca/COVID19 or follow @CityBrampton on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
“As a Well-Run City, we remain committed to moving business forward in Brampton while protecting the health and safety of our community. These innovative new processes and tools will allow us to do both – continue to advance building in our city and generate new jobs, and maintain physical distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
- Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“While City facilities are closed, Council and staff are constantly striving to offer services in alternative ways to move business forward. The new technologies being used in the Planning Department will effectively serve Brampton businesses, support the local economy and keep staff and residents safe.”
- Martin Medeiros, Regional Councillor, Wards 3 & 4; Chair, Planning and Development Committee
“With a focus on health and safety, we remain focused on our city’s growth during this challenging time. By finding new ways of providing services, the City of Brampton will continue to be a preferred destination for developers.”
- Pat Fortini, Regional Councillor, Wards 7 & 8; Vice-Chair, Planning and Development Committee
“City of Brampton staff are united in our dedication to deliver programs and services in new and safe ways during this challenging time. The processes and tools introduced in the Planning Department will allow us to continue to serve the development community while protecting the health and wellbeing of staff and the public during this emergency.”
- David Barrick, Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to 650,000 people and 70,000 businesses. People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.
Media Coordinator, City of Brampton
905.874.2143 | email@example.com