BRAMPTON, ON (May 4, 2022) – Today, Brampton City Council endorsed the first ever Performing Arts Strategic Plan 2022 to 2027. With a vision to build an inspiring performing arts community that reflects the spirit and diversity of Brampton, this framework for the future lays the foundation for how to get there and aligns with the City of Brampton’s broader priorities and goals.
The strategic plan has identified three guiding principles that anchor the work ahead including diversity and inclusion, a city-wide campus and community building.
The strategic plan will focus on four strategic priorities:
- Expand community programming and outreach. The performing arts programming model will expand to ensure it is welcoming and relevant to a broader range of audiences and creators. This will be accomplished by building supportive and lasting relationships with the local community across the arts ecosystem and beyond including artists and creators, community partners, new and existing audiences and other City departments.
- Deepen equity, diversity, inclusion and access. The Performing Arts Division will build out a complete equity framework and action plan that includes areas such as policy, programming, audience development, marketing and outreach.
- Invest in streamlined marketing, communications and website across all performing arts venues. The City’s high caliber, multi-purpose facilities, resources and services offer a wide range of performing arts experiences for communities. A plan will be developed to position the Performing Arts facilities as an interrelated, multi-venue campus to better reflect the division’s citywide impact, and facilitate the additional supports required to promote usage at all venues.
- Develop organizational resilience. Review the operational needs of the organization, including staff and financial resources and optimize or develop new revenue streams and funding sources to ensure financial sustainability.
The Performing Arts team will utilize a detailed and phased roadmap for implementing the strategic plan over the next five years. To view the Performing Arts Strategic Plan, visit brampton.ca/performingarts
“The City of Brampton’s performing arts venues are where the performing arts in our city come to life, with community at the core of our purpose. I’m excited to see the development of our first Performing Arts Strategic Plan to help further strengthen Brampton’s artistic landscape, now and in the future.”
- Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“Brampton is a beacon of artistic diversity, a profoundly enlightened city where the performing arts are vital to people of all ages, backgrounds and walks of life. Brampton is a Mosaic, and it’s important that our diverse, creative population is reflected in our programming. This Performing Arts Strategic Plan will help position Brampton for years of success.”
- Rowena Santos, Regional Councillor, Wards 1 & 5; Chair, Community Services, City of Brampton
“The City of Brampton’s Performing Arts team has done an exceptional job engaging with the public and various stakeholders to create a thorough Performing Arts Strategic Plan. Over the next five years, this framework will help amplify and inspire the performing arts community to ensure it reflects the spirit and diversity of Brampton.”
- Paul Morrison, Interim Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
“Performing Arts is grateful to everyone whose input helped write our first ever Strategic Plan. We're now committed to moving from constructive words on a page to inspiring actions, on and off stage.”
- Steven Schipper, Executive Artistic Director, Performing Arts, City of Brampton
-30-As one of the fastest-growing cities in Canada, Brampton is home to 700,000 people and 75,000 businesses.
People are at the heart of everything we do. We are energized by our diverse communities, we attract investment, and we are embarking on a journey to lead technological and environmental innovation. We partner for progress to build a healthy city that is safe, sustainable and successful. Connect with us on Twitter
, and Instagram
. Learn more at www.brampton.caThe Rose Brampton is Brampton’s premier performing arts venue, and an iconic feature of the downtown core.
A vital part of the city, it is a destination for local and world-renowned performers, providing opportunities for audiences from Brampton and beyond to experience a wide range of talent in an extraordinary setting. Architecturally and acoustically sublime, The Rose is where Brampton comes to life. Learn more at therosebrampton.caMEDIA CONTACT
City of Brampton Media Relationsmediarelations@brampton.ca