The City Clerk’s Office provides the services of a Commissioner of Oaths Tuesdays 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm and Thursdays 9:00 am – 12:00 pm.
The fee is $35.00 for up to 3 documents and $5.00 for each additional document over 3.
A Commissioner of Oaths, also known as a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits, is not the same as a Notary Public. A Notary Public has much broader authority. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public, or you require certified copies of documents, then you will need to contact a lawyer or a Notary.
The person signing the affidavit must appear before the Commissioner and must show proof of identity via Government issued photo identification such as a driver’s licence, health card or passport. The person signing the affidavit must sign the document in the presence of the Commissioner.
There is no guarantee that a document can be commissioned until the document is seen by the Commissioner.
The Commissioner cannot witness documents where there is a requirement to personally know the person for a certain length of time, ie. Passport Guarantor.
The Commissioner will only witness a document in another language if they are able to translate the document.
Documents the City cannot Commission:
- Wills, Living Wills, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
- Power of Attorney
- Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
- Custody documents
- Documents related to debt
- Real Estate documents
- Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
- Declaration or Claimant and Indemnity
- Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution – Holdback Security Deposits
- Statement of Arrears
- Certified True Copies
- Tender documents
- Declaration of a Translator
- Age of Majority or BYID Card Application
- Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public, Canadian and Foreign
Documents the City will Commission:
- Domestic and Foreign Pension document also known as Proof of Life
- Delayed Statement of Live Birth
- Adult Name Change
- Vehicle transfer of ownership to a family member
- Child Travel Consent
- Invitation letters for a visitor's VISA
- Immunization exemption document
- Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification
- Statutory Declaration for OSAP – Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
- Affidavit of Proof of Loss of Motor Vehicle/boat (from an insurance company)
- Statutory Declaration In Lieu of Guarantor – for Canadian Passport