Development Applications

Development and Site Plan Application for Pre-Consultation:

In accordance with the City’s Official Plan, the Planning and Infrastructure Services Department requires applicants to pre-consult with staff prior to the submission of an application requiring Planning Act approval.  The pre-consultation involves meeting with applicants in order to identify key issues, the development approvals that are required for the specific development application(s) and to confirm the supporting concept plans, reports and studies that are required to accompany the application(s).  

Application Requirements

Guide and Application Forms for Block Plan, Official Plan and Zoning by-law Amendments:

These applications are required when a proposed development on a property does not conform to the City's Official Plan, Secondary Plan, or Zoning By-law. An amendment to one or all of these documents will be required.


Guide and Application Forms for Draft Plan of Subdivision and/or Draft Plan of Condominium:

A Subdivision Application is required when a piece of land is divided into two or more parcels for the purposes of selling property. A Condominium Application is required for tenure purposes and identifies individual ownership of units, exclusive use portions of common elements and joint use of other common elements.


Site Plan Application:

This application is required for all Land Use & Development other than Single Family Dwellings.


Landscape Plans

Landscape plans for Subdivision and Capital Projects comprising of parks, open space and streetscape plans are received by the Engineering and Development Services Division in conjunction with the subdivision engineering plans submission or as a part of a capital project. For New Subdivisions refer to Submission Requirements checklist for first, second, pre-servicing and final submissions.  

Part Lot Control Application:

This application is for the approval of exemptions from the provisions of Part Lot Control made pursuant to Section 50(5) of the Planning Act.

Consent and Minor Variance Applications

Any person wishing to apply to the Committee of Adjustment should obtain and complete the appropriate application form.   The application form outlines the applicable fees and all requirements for submitting an application for “Minor Variance or Special Permission” or application for “Consent”.    Additional fees may be required if a property is located within the screening area of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) or Credit Valley Conservation (CVC). 

An owner of land or any person authorized in writing by the owner, may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for “Consent” to sever and convey part of their land. “Consent” approval is also required when the terms of an agreement, such as a lease, easement or mortgage commits the land to a use for a period in excess of 21 years.

The Committee of Adjustment may give its “Consent” if in the opinion of the Committee, the application conforms to the provisions of the Planning Act, Official Plan and the Zoning By-law.

The owner of any land, building or structure or any person authorized in writing by the owner, who is unable to comply with the provisions of the Zoning By-law, may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for relief from the Zoning By-law by means of an “Application for Minor Variance”.

The Committee of Adjustment may grant a variance, if in the opinion of the Committee, the request is minor in nature, is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure and if in the opinion of the Committee, the general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law and the Official Plan are maintained.

Click here for information on the Committee of Adjustment