Tow trucks are licensed by the City under Mobile Licensing By-law 67-2014. Before a licence is granted, licensing Inspectors examine over 50 items during tow truck inspections. To pass the inspection, strict standards must be met relating to:
- Safety at a collision scene
- Safety during towing and hoisting
- Ensuring the job can be performed properly
Have you been in an accident? Did your vehicle break down? Know your rights.
- It is in your best interest to contact your insurance company to ensure you have coverage before entering into any agreement with the tow truck operator/rental company and body repair shop.
- Before your vehicle is towed, you, a police officer, a member of Brampton Fire or another person authorized to direct the removal of vehicles must direct a tow truck driver to do so.
- You have the right to request your own tow company and/or use the services of the driver onsite and request your vehicle be taken to the location of your choice.
- Your vehicle cannot be towed from a collision until an Authorization to Tow form is completed.
- You must be presented with an itemized bill setting out the cost of all services before payment is requested.
- Your vehicle must be towed by the most direct route possible, promptly, unless you specify otherwise.
- Your vehicle must be taken to the reporting centre, City licensed automobile service station or vehicle pound facility of your choice, unless closed. If closed, your vehicle may only be taken to the tow truck driver’s City licensed vehicle pound facility, where additional charges for administration, environmental and storage may be applied.
- Work Orders are not permitted in tow trucks, and you should only sign one once you have made the decision to have your vehicle repaired at the repair facility.
Queries and concerns regarding tow trucks can be submitted in person, by telephone, by regular mail or by email, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm:
Enforcement and By-Law Services Division
8850 McLaughlin Road S., Unit #2
Tips for Avoiding Tow Truck and Storage Scams
How to Handle a Car Accident