Brampton Library enriches the lives of Brampton residents by promoting literacy and by providing access to recreational materials and information in a welcoming environment that fosters connections with others and with the community.
Responsibilities of the Board:
The Board of Trustees shall have all of the powers granted to it by law and shall, in open meeting and in accordance with the law:
- Provide, in co-operation with other boards, a comprehensive and efficient public library service that reflects the community’s unique needs;
- Provide library services in the French language where appropriate;
- Operate one or more libraries and ensure that they are conducted in accordance with the Public Libraries Act and its regulations;
- Make an annual report to the Minister and make any other reports required by the Act and the regulations or requested by the Minister from time to time;
- Appoint a Chief Executive Officer who shall have general supervision over and direction of the operations of the public library and its staff, shall attend all board meetings and shall have the other powers and duties that the Board assigns;
- Make rules for the use of library services; for admission to the library; for the exclusion from the library of persons who behave in a disruptive manner or cause damage to library property; impose and forgive fines for breaches of the rules; suspend library privileges for breaches of the rules; and regulate all other matters connected with the management of the library and library property;
- Provide pensions for employees and their surviving spouses and children within the terms of the Municipal Act and may establish a system of sick leave credit gratuities for employees within the terms of the Municipal Act.
Two Members of Council (2014-2016):
- Councillor Michael Palleschi
- Councillor Doug Whillans
Eight citizens appointed by City Council, for the term ending November 30, 2018, or until successors are appointed:
- Janice Awde
- Michael Ben
- Roger Bunn
- Kathryn Hay
- Karim Ladak
- Jaipaul Massey-Singh
- Cathy Phung
- Patricia Waters
Term of Office:
The Chair and Vice-Chair shall be elected annually at the January Board meeting from among the Board’s membership. Each officer shall serve a one-year term or until the Board’s next subsequent organizational meeting.
By-law 270-91, as amended
Fourth Tuesday of each month from September to June. Meetings are open to the public except when confidential items are discussed. The meetings are generally held at the Four Corners Branch, 65 Queen Street East in the Board Room.
Chair: $1,000 per annum
Vice-Chair: $500 per annum
Remaining Members: volunteer
Reimbursement for any expenses incurred
Click Here for Application