Accessory structures are extra buildings or structures on a residential property which may include:
- Shade structures
- Children’s Play Equipment
- Saunas, pool change rooms, pump sheds
- Dog houses
General Rules for Accessory Structures*
- Maximum two (2) accessory structures are permitted if the combined area for both does not exceed 20 square metres (215 square feet). However, an individual accessory structure cannot exceed 15 square meters (161 square feet) in size (e.g. one 8 sq.m shed + one 12 sq.m gazebo = OK)
- Must be built at least 0.6 metres (2 feet) from the property line on all sides. Play structures or pool enclosures must be built at least 1.2 metres (4 feet) from all property lines.
- Building height cannot exceed 3 metres (9 feet 9 inches)
- Allowed in rear yards only (not in front or side yards)
- People cannot live in an accessory structure
* Rules for corner lots, lots that back onto a ravine and larger Rural Residential or Estate Residential lots may vary. For more information call Zoning Services at 905-874-2090.
Do I need a permit?
A Building Permit is required for sheds or accessory buildings having an area of 10 square metres or greater. For more information
or contact the Building Division's Permits Section at 905-874-2401.