BRAMPTON, ON (February 26, 2019) – Residents and visitors are invited to celebrate International Women’s Day at Brampton City Hall on Thursday, March 7, 2019 from 4:30 to 6:30 pm.
Hosted by the City of Brampton and the Zonta Club of Brampton and Caledon, the event will kick off with a smudging ceremony and a celebratory walk from Daily Times Square into the City Hall Atrium, followed by music, mingling and free refreshments.
In the City Hall Atrium, attendees can enjoy a series of speakers, presentations and information from local women’s organizations, including:
• Emcees Cristina Howorun and Tammie Sutherland from CityTV
• A welcome address from Mayor Patrick Brown, Regional Councillor Rowena Santos and City Councillor Charmaine Williams
• A keynote address from entrepreneur Bisma Haider, featured on CBC’s Dragon’s Den
• Spoken Word by Lamoi Simmonds, Brampton Citizens Award recipient
• An interactive session with Margaret Wallis-Duffy of Wallis for Wellness
• Presentations by Rachel Lim and Ellia Abidi, Zonta Club students from North Park and Central Peel Secondary Schools
• Performances by Hadassah Annor, Rosey Kaur Chohan, SAMA Models, and Northern Lights String Quartet
• Cheque presentation from Zonta Club to the Salvation Army Family Life Resource Centre
“Brampton is hosting its first public International Women’s Day event to recognize all the important roles women play in our city. This event is an opportunity to celebrate all that women have achieved here in Brampton, across Canada, and around the world,” said Mayor Patrick Brown.
All residents are invited to help the City honour women using the hashtag #WomenofBrampton on Twitter and Instagram. Post a picture or a video with a short statement (15 words or less) about a woman who inspires you using the hashtag #WomenofBrampton and tag @eventsbrampton on Instagram
, or @Brampton_Events on Twitter
for the chance to have your content shared on the City’s channels.
International Women's Day is recognized globally to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women while calling for a more gender-balanced world. The theme for 2019’s campaign is #BalanceforBetter.
To learn more about the event, click here.
-30- Brampton is thinking bigger.
We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instill pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter
, and Instagram
. Learn more at www.brampton.ca
. MEDIA CONTACT
Media Coordinator, City of Bramptonchristine.firstname.lastname@example.org