City by-laws are reviewed and updated from time to time. In December 2016, after review and consultation with internal stakeholders, staff presented a draft Adult Entertainment Licensing By-law to update and clarify licensing requirements for businesses offering adult entertainment services and merchandise.
The by-law is still under review. It is anticipated that the proposed by-law will be presented to Council in June 2017. Adult entertainment businesses and the general public of Brampton have an opportunity to provide their comments on the proposed by-law.
Comments or questions can be sent to email@example.com or provided in person at the City Clerk’s Office, 2 Wellington Street West, or by delegating to the Council when the proposed by-law is presented.
What are the proposed changes?
- Licensing Operators: Owners of body-rub parlours and owners of adult entertainment parlours (strip clubs) were already licensed by the City. In addition to that, the City will license operators (i.e. those managing these businesses), and requires that the licensed owner or licensed operator must be on premises at all times.
- Licensing Adult Entertainers: Adds the requirement that entertainers (strippers) must be licensed.
- Expanding licensing of Adult Video stores: to include all adult merchandise (i.e. videos and other products) and establishing two categories of licences:
- Class A licence for stores in which the principal business is adult merchandise, and
- Class B for those in which the portion of floor area devoted to the display of adult merchandise is less than 10 per cent of the total area devoted to the display of all merchandise.
To see the staff report and proposed by-law, click here.