By-law 200-2010 established a Compliance Audit Committee for the 2010 municipal election, in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act. The mandate of the committee is:
1. The Committee shall operate in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the City of Brampton Procedure By-law.
2. The Committee shall review applications submitted by eligible electors for a compliance audit of a candidate's campaign finances and determine whether or not an audit is warranted.
3. If the Committee determines an audit is necessary it shall appoint an Auditor licensed under the Public Accounting Act, 2004 to conduct the audit
4. If the Auditor concludes a candidate appears to be in contravention of the Act, the Committee shall decide whether or not to initiate legal proceedings against the candidate.
5. If the Auditor concludes that the candidate does not appear to be in contravention of the Act relating to election campaign finances, the Committee shall make a decision whether there were reasonable grounds for the application.
6. If the Committee determines there are no reasonable grounds, City Council or School Board, as the case may be, is entitled to recover the Auditor's costs from the applicant.
Related Staff Report and Committee Terms of Reference
To be determined once the Committee is appointed.
P. Fay, City Clerk