The Audit Committee enhances Council's oversight and stewardship responsibilities. It provides a focal point for improved communication between Council, the Internal and Statutory Auditors, and Management. It further strengthens the impartial, objective and independent review of management practices through the internal and statutory audit functions.
Updated Internal Audit Charter (Council-approved September 2017)
Updated Audit Committee Terms of Reference (Council-approved March 2018)
In particular, the Audit Committee objectives are to:
Demonstrate a higher level of public accountability;
Provide additional assurance to the public that City services are administered in an effective, efficient and economical manner;
Further ensure compliance with legislation for public reporting;
Further ensure compliance with Corporate policies and procedures;
Further ensure the safeguarding of City assets;
- Further ensure impartial, objective and independent review of processes for City operations.
The Audit Committee reports to City Council.
Audit Committee meets generally once every quarter, on Tuesdays starting at 9:30 a.m.
Citizen Membership on the Audit Committee
For the 2018-2022 term of Council, one to three qualified members of the public will be appointed to the Audit Committee. Citizen eligibility includes:
- a resident of the City of Brampton or a non-resident Brampton-based organizational or business representative
- professional accounting designation; preference to CPA
- no conflict of interest or personal business conflict
Desired competencies for the citizen members include:
- have a passion for the City of Brampton and its strategic direction
- demonstrated ability to innovate and develop strategic vision
- a hands-on, take charge finance professional with demonstrated skills in auditing and/or accounting
- a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in a complex organization
- Audit Committee experience
- excellent verbal, written, listening, teamwork and collaboration skills
Members of the public appointed to the Audit Committee serve as volunteers with no remuneration.
Regional Councillor Michael Palleschi, Chair
City Councillor Gurpreet Dhillon
Regional Councillor Martin Medeiros
Regional Councillor Gael Miles
Regional Councillor Elaine Moore
Sonya Pacheco, Legislative Co-ordinator