About the Active Transportation Master Plan
Active Transportation (walking, cycling and other self-propelled mobility options) presents one of the greatest untapped opportunities for reducing single occupant vehicle trips, and for addressing a host of community design and public health issues. Incorporating global best practices in active transportation and promoting the concept of 'complete streets' and 'sustainable' community design is a guiding principle for the City’s planning and engineering efforts.
The focus of the Active Transportation Master Plan is to develop an implementation strategy for building a connected cycling and pedestrian network across the City (and connecting to neighbouring municipalities) to enable safer, more convenient travel by non-motorized modes, and to encourage cycling as a viable means of transportation for both recreational and utilitarian purposes for the general public.
What is the Status of the Plan?
The City has retained the services of IBI Group Incorporated to assist with the Active Transportation Master Plan Study. IBI is currently working on a background working paper which will establish the context of the Active Transportation Master Plan. This document will provide a summary of a literature review, an assessment of the existing conditions, identification of best practices and the development of a vision, goals and objectives for the study. As an input to the background study, IBI has met with various City departments, the Brampton Cycling Advisory Committee and held the project’s first pubic engagement event on Wednesday January 18, 2017.
Masterplan Project Status
Please click on the dates below to view the project status.
- Project Launch
- Internal communications with other City Department
- Active Transportation Master Plan survey for City staff
- Deliverable #2 - Working Paper – Background Study
- External Consultations through Brampton Cycling Advisory Committee meeting (November 17, 2016) and Public Information Centre (January 18, 2017)
- Project Webpage
- Terms of reference for consultant finalized and RFP undertaken
- Project consultant selected
- Deliverable #1 – Final Project Plan and Schedule
- Background Data Review
- Project Start- up