The City of Brampton is dedicated to becoming a “bicycle and walk friendly community” that fosters and promotes active transportation, where residents and visitors can easily access community and neighbourhood destinations as well as employment areas through the use of a safe, connected, and convenient network of on-road and off-road active transportation facilities.
Becoming a bicycle and walk friendly community involves addressing and delivering a number of essential priorities (plans, projects, programs, etc.), that are categorized according to:
- Engineering: Creating safe and convenient places to walk and ride.
- Education: Giving people of all ages and abilities the skills and confidence to ride.
- Encouragement: Creating a strong bike culture that welcomes and celebrates bicycling and walking.
- Enforcement: Ensuring safe roads for all users.
- Evaluation & Planning: Planning for bicycling and walking as a safe and viable transportation options.
The City’s Active Transportation Master Plan will define our vision priorities in each of the aforementioned categories and provide staff with the framework to address/implement each.