2.3 per cent increase in Property Tax for Brampton
At a special meeting on December 14, 2016, Brampton City Council unanimously approved a budget that will result in an overall property tax increase of 2.3 per cent in 2017. This figure includes tax increases by the City, Region of Peel and the Province (school boards).
The impact of this budget on property tax in 2017 translates into an annual increase of approximately $107 for an average residential home assessed at $443,000.
Budget 2017 - 2019 highlights
Budget 2017 includes the following service enhancements for Brampton residents and businesses.
Transit enhancements include:
- Züm growth, Bus Rapid Transit and support corridors
- Better connectivity - Spadina subway link in Vaughan
- Increased frequency and service levels
- Ridership increase of 500,000
Fire and safety enhancements include:
- Improved first full response time (five trucks)
- Another fire apparatus in service
Advancing Brampton's Strategic Priorities
In 2015 Council approved a strategic plan to build a connected City that is innovative, inclusive and bold with priorities related to good government, smart growth, move and connect, and strong communities. In addition to enhancements to transit and fire services, Budget 2017 advances these priorities through a continued focus on investments and initiatives including:
- Funding to support the University announcement for Brampton
- Targeted focus on Economic Development and Culture to support priority sectors like advanced manufacturing, food and beverage processing, health and life sciences, and innovation and technology
- Enhanced Züm services and better connectivity with regional transportation systems like GO Transit
- Recreation programming to support community health and wellness
- Continued development of Riverwalk as an inviting space for pedestrians and cyclists through the downtown
- Implementation of a Corporate Asset Management Plan
- Continued funding for community engagement and ethnic media programs
2017-2019 Proposed Business Plan and Budget
2017-2019 Proposed Business Plan and Budget - Executive Summary