Fill/Grading Permit

Please note under Ontario Regulation 82/20 as amended, being the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act orders the closure of all places of non-essential business and for greater certainty, that all construction cease and not proceed except those essential businesses listed in Schedule 2 of the regulation. It is the owner’s responsibility to comply with the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act until such times as the order is lifted. Ontario Regulation 82/20 can be found at:

Many Brampton residents make plans to improve their properties. Those plans often involve landscaping, changing the grade of the land or stripping the land. Before undertaking any of these projects, homeowners/contractors are required to apply to the City of Brampton for a Fill Permit.

Fill is any type of material placed on land, including soil, stone, concrete, asphalt, sod, or turf. 

​A Fill Permit ensures that:

  • the work does not affect the surface drainage on neighbouring lots 
  • surface features such as swales and catch basins are not changed 
  • the work is done safely and complies with City standards 
  • City streets are kept free of debris during the filling or stripping process.

When a resident receives a Fill Permit to change the grade of their land, Traffic Services staff will inspect the property and offer advice in an effort to avoid potential drainage problems.

The City may enforce compliance to ensure the work being done matches the design that was approved for the Fill Permit.

Are you filling in/removing an in-ground pool?

  • You only require a Fill Permit if the existing grade of your property is being changed. 
  • It is recommended that the floor of concrete pools be broken and all vinyl, plastic and metal be removed to allow for proper drainage.

Submit your completed Fill Permit Application to or in person at:

Williams Parkway Operations Centre
1975 Williams Parkway
Brampton, ON L6S 6E5

Office Hours: M to F, 8:30am to 4:30pm
Closest Intersection: Torbram Rd & Williams Pkwy
Directions from downtown Brampton: Travelling east on Queen Street, turn left onto Chrysler Drive. Turn right onto Williams Parkway. Turn right at the first entrance on the right. Follow entrance signs for Williams Parkway Operations Centre

Contact 311 for more information.​