Aspiring to be part of the fire service? Apply for a bursary of $1000
To assist Brampton residents who are pursuing a career in the fire service, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services created the George Hitchcock Memorial Endowment Fund. It honours the late George Hitchcock who guided and encouraged many people in their pursuit of a career in the fire service.
During his 33-year tenure with Brampton Fire and Emergency Services, George Hitchcock played a significant role in developing and nurturing many innovative programs. George’s direction and leadership was pivotal to the development and success of the Fire/Life Safety Education Centre. The Centre has grown to be an award-winning and internationally recognized facility for safety awareness and education. The endowment fund is a tribute to the valuable contribution made by George to our community.
Endowment Fund Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the fund, applicants must fulfil all of these criteria:
- Individual is a Brampton resident and a Canadian citizen or is able to work in Canada.
- Applicant is pursuing an Ontario post-secondary school diploma in a fire-related program
- All applicants must fully complete the requirements listed in the application form
- All applications must be submitted by the submission deadline. See funding guidelines and process section below
- After the interview process, the successful applicant must provide proof of acceptance to an Ontario post-secondary school program
Note: City of Brampton Employees and their family members are not able to apply. As per the City of Brampton corporate policy, family is defined as the following: Spouse, Parents/Step Parent, Son- in-law, Children/Step Children, Sisters/Step Sisters/Half Sisters, Daughter-in-law, Mother-in-Law, Brothers/Step Brothers/Half Brothers, Brother- in-law, Father- in-Law, Same-Sex Spouse, Common Law Spouse, Sister- in-law, Grandparent, Grandchildren/Aunt/Uncle Step-Grandparent/Step-Grandchildren, Cousin and Guardian.
Funding guidelines and process
- The George Hitchcock Memorial Endowment Fund Committee will only accept the first 30 applications
- The selection committee will select a specific number of applicants for an interview based on their application form and eligibility
- The submission period is from February 5, 2021 to April 1, 2021
- The submission period will close either April 1, 2021 or when 30 applications are submitted, whichever comes first
- Submissions must be emailed to The George Hitchcock Memorial Endowment Fund Committee: email@example.com
- Applications that are incomplete, illegible or not received during the submission period will not be considered
- Interviews will take place in April 2021
- The successful applicant will be notified by April 30, 2021
- Link to application form