When a road is planned to be widened to six lanes, it is standard City practice to install a noise wall to mitigate traffic noise for neighbouring homes. That noise wall is being installed now, before the road construction begins.
Road Construction Options
Option 1: 6 lanes (4 General Purpose, 2 HOV & Transit)
Option 2: 4 General Purpose lanes
Option 3: 4 General Purpose lanes and reduced median
Option 4: Resurfacing existing road
- 2006 – 2011: Study conducted regarding the need for six-lane widening and a new noise wall. Class Environmental Assessment completed, including two public meetings.
- 2011: Based on EA, Williams Parkway recommended to be widened to six lanes. Environmental Site Assessment Report filed and approved.
- Spring 2012: Start of detailed design for widening and noise wall
- June 2018: Noise wall tendered for construction
- October 2018: First notice of construction delivered
November 2018: Start of noise wall construction
April 2019: Second notice of construction delivered
- October 2019:
Council requests a review of the road widening recommendation by Q2 of 2020
- June 2020: Road widening options presented at Council Workshop. See video and workshop slides
- Summer 2020: Online survey regarding road construction options
- Summer 2020: Expected completion of noise wall construction
- 2020 - 2021: Utility relocation work
- 2022: Williams Parkway improvements from North Park Drive to Kennedy Road, subject to Council approval
- 2024: Williams Parkway improvements from Kennedy Road to McLaughlin Road, subject to Council approval