Downtown Reimagined is one of the first steps in delivering the Brampton 2040 Vision. In the next five years, downtown Brampton will be a hive of activity as a number of exciting initiatives bring in new development and growth.
On May 16, Brampton City Council unanimously gave approval to moving forward with the recommended project plans for the Downtown Reimagined initiative. This project, which includes critical infrastructure and significant streetscaping in the city’s core, is being implemented by the Region of Peel in partnership with the City of Brampton.
The project includes:
- Replacement and relining the existing aging sanitary sewers;
- Installation of new watermains and sanitary and storm sewers and other utilities to accommodate future growth; and,
- Construction of new streetscaping.
To ensure timely and effective completion, vehicular traffic will be restricted in the area during construction that is expected to take 2.5 to 3 years. The Region of Peel will commence work on critical infrastructure in Spring 2019.
What to expect
- Pedestrian and business access will remain open at all times
- The road closure is expected for 2 years on Queen Street between George St and Chapel Street (intersections remain open) and Main Street between Wellington Street and Nelson Street West (intersections remain open)
- Best efforts will be made to maintain the festivals and events that take place in Garden Square or Ken Whillans Square
- Enhanced road signage and wayfinding will be in place prior to any traffic changes to give the public enough notice to plan their route. “Open for Business” signs will be included during construction.
- Parking garage incentives will be in place for the duration of construction
- Visitors will be directed to the existing five parking garages through improved wayfinding
The City of Brampton is committed to working with the Region of Peel, the downtown BIA and all stakeholders to minimize disruption and ensure a safe transition of traffic and pedestrian movement during the construction.