In December 2018, the Downtown Reimagined project was put on hold for a number of reasons including:
- The cost of the tender came in higher than estimated
- Uncertainties around cost of utilities and underground channel
- New development plan opportunities in the downtown
- Modifications of projects in the downtown as a result of provincial funding cancellation for the university
- Current design for Downtown Reimagined precluded a LRT as per previous Council decision
Investigations conducted in 2018 as part of the project in the Queen Street and Main Street rights-of-way revealed remnants of a concrete channel that was originally built to convey the Etobicoke Creek through the downtown. The investigation continues to determine the location and condition of any remnants of the channel on City-owned properties in order to inform future projects in the downtown.