Here’s an overview of where we’ve been, what we’re doing, and where it’s going.
- In May 2015 the Province announced they were planning a second competitive call for proposals for a new university campus, with a focus on the Regions of Peel and Halton.
- The Blue Ribbon Exploratory Panel for establishing a University in the City of Brampton was created in July 2015 to lead the City’s efforts in securing a university.
- On October 26, 2016, the Province of Ontario announced funding for a university in Brampton
- On January 18, 2017, the Province released its Call for Expressions of Interest for a university to submit a proposal to establish a university in Brampton, with an initial submission deadline of March 6.
- On March 14, 2017, the Province revealed that Ryerson University, in partnership with Sheridan College, submitted an application to establish a new facility in Brampton. The Province will work with Ryerson and its partners over the coming months to refine its proposal.
- On September 13, 2017, Brampton City Council endorsed, in principle, investing up to $50M over 10 years into a post-secondary facility, and up to $100M into joint-use community space to support a university, business innovation and collaboration, community interaction, and cultural growth.
- The City also completed an economic impact study articulating the significant social and economic benefits of a new university campus and Centre for Innovation in downtown Brampton.
- On April 18, 2018 The Honourable Mitzie Hunter, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development, along with Harinder Malhi, MPP Brampton-Springdale and Minister of the Status of Women, announced the establishment of a new Ryerson University campus, with Sheridan College as an academic partner, in downtown Brampton.
- On June 6, staff revealed the shortlist of architectural firms selected through a request for pre-qualification for design services for a Centre for Innovation.