Following the Heat Warning issued today by the Region of Peel, the City of Brampton reminds residents that all of its recreation centres are available during normal hours of operation as heat relief locations.
All heat relief locations have air conditioning, drinking water available at taps and fountains, and relaxed loitering rules to allow residents the opportunity get cool.
Spray pad hours have been extended to 10 pm. Gage Park wading pool will remain open until 8 pm Residents are encouraged to refer to the City’s website for drop-in swim schedules
. Eldorado pool hours will be extended to 8:30 pm.
Visit the City of Brampton website
for tips on staying cool in periods of extreme heat.Restrict outdoor activity
Residents are encouraged to restrict outdoor activity. It is also recommended that the public stay out of the sun, drink lots of water and stay in air conditioned places. Individuals at risk
Seniors and young children are particularly at risk, and residents are encouraged to check in on friends and family who they think may be vulnerable. Pets
Tips to help keep pets cool:
• Keep your pets indoors and hold off on taking them for walks in the heat - if the pavement is too hot for bare feet, it is too hot for bare paws.
• Provide plenty of fresh water
• Keep air circulating indoors
• Limit time in the sun and provide shade
In hot temperatures, never leave children or pets unattended in vehicles.Be safe in the water
Residents are also reminded to play it safe near water:
• Always keep young children within arms' reach around the water
• Never swim alone
• Restrict and control access to backyard pools with fencing on all four sides
• Put a life jacket on young children when in the pool area or at the beach
• Choose lifeguard-supervised beaches and pools for swimming
• Empty unattended wading pools and buckets of water if not in use
• If you have a pool or cottage, ensure family members learn lifesaving skills
For more information on heat safety, visit www.brampton.ca
Senior Advisor, Public Relations, City of Brampton