Brampton, ON – Nominations for Brampton’s 2018 Municipal Election closed last week on July 27.
The official list of candidates, as certified by the City Clerk, is available on the City’s website at www.brampton.ca/bramptonvotes.
Elected by Acclamation
The Municipal Elections Act, 1996, states that, if, at 4 pm on the Monday following Nomination Day, the number of certified candidates for an office is the same as or less than the number to be elected, the Clerk shall immediately declare the candidate or candidates elected by acclamation. The City received only one nomination for the office of Trustee, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board for Wards 7, 8, 9 and 10. This makes the successful candidate, Shawn Xaviour, elected by acclamation.
• The 2018 Municipal Election will take place on Monday, October 22, 2018. Voting hours are from 10 am to 8 pm.
• New this Election, Brampton voters will be able to vote at any location within their ward on Voting Day.
• Advance Voting will take place on October 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11 and 13. Timing and location information can be found here.
• Bill 5, An Act to amend the City of Toronto Act, 2006, the Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 received its first reading at the Legislative Assembly of Ontario on July 30, 2018. If passed, the Bill will place a hold on the election of the Region of Peel Chair. For information on the Region of Peel Chair position, visit the Region of Peel website.
• Questions or inquiries about candidates’ campaigns or platforms should be directed to the relevant candidate.
• Third party advertiser registrations can be filed until October 19, 2018.
Brampton is thinking bigger.
We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instill pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter
. Learn more at www.brampton.ca