BRAMPTON, ON – Brampton’s startup community is anticipating an exciting boost, as a new angel investor group is looking to establish a local chapter.
Last night at Brampton City Hall, Cross Border Angels & Experts (CBA) hosted an information session for interested investors, mentors and entrepreneurs. CBA is building a startup ecosystem for entrepreneurs to meet with investors, business leaders and other startup stakeholders through its global network, online portal and events. In partnership with the City’s Economic Development and Culture office, the organization hopes to launch CBA Catalysts of Brampton as Brampton’s contribution to this ecosystem.
Ashwin Sanzgiri, Vice-President, Scaale Group and Cross Border Angels is the inspiration behind the Catalysts. A Brampton resident, passionate about the city and aware of the opportunities presented by Brampton’s pace of growth, youth and economic base, Sanzgiri is putting the weight of the CBA organization behind the initiative and tapping into his networks of business leaders and other influencers in the city.
The Catalysts’ goal is to spark community and economic development. A screening process will channel the most promising and high potential projects to the Catalysts for deliberation. Follow-up actions may include capital investment, mentorship and guidance. Through its network, CBA will also invite Brampton-based business leaders to actively engage with the Catalysts to support relevant projects.
The information session saw a broad mix of business and professional participants, each bringing varied expertise and resources to the group. Those interested in joining the Catalyst group can apply to be an investor or a mentor, each coming with specific expectations.
Well-known business leaders and venture capitalists were guest speakers at the event.
- Ms. Reetu Gupta, COO of the Easton's Group of Hotels and Chief Strategy Officer of Rogue Insight Capital Ltd. In 2017, Reetu was honoured as one of Canada's Top 40 Under 40 and she sits on several boards and chairs numerous committees.
- Mr. Suraj K. Gupta, a valued member of Cross Border Angels and Co-Founder, President & CEO of Rogue Insight Capital Ltd. Under Suraj's leadership, Rogue has made investments in five continents within a variety of verticals.
“Brampton has a thriving entrepreneurial community, and there are more exciting projects coming up that will only add to the ecosystem, like a pilot incubator and the new Ryerson campus downtown. The timing is perfect and the opportunities immense for a new Brampton-focused angel investors group.”
- Mayor Linda Jeffrey
“The City’s Economic Development Master Plan emphasized the need for collaboration and partnership with the private and public sector. The new angel network system for Brampton is yet another step in the right direction in bringing together startup stakeholders to work together for Brampton’s continued economic success.”
- Councillor Jeff Bowman, Economic Development Chair
“The information session was a great start to what will become a strong community of entrepreneurs, angel investors and mentors. Initiatives such as the new CBA Catalysts of Brampton will further boost growth opportunities for Brampton’s entrepreneurs and the wider business community, and enhance the city’s overall economic prospects. This is yet another great example of the strategic partnerships we are building to create a strong ecosystem for our innovation, technology and entrepreneur sectors.”
- Bob Darling, Director, Economic Development & Culture
“The key ingredients of creating an organic entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem is availability of smart capital, a captive market, inherent talent pool and ease of doing business. On introspection, we realize that all the above are available in abundance in Brampton.”
- Ashwin Sanzgiri, Vice-President, Scaale Group and Cross Border Angels
- In 2017, the Brampton Entrepreneur Centre supported 150 startups, delivered seminars and events to more than 4,500 entrepreneurs, and channelled more than $155,000 in funding to launch or grow Brampton businesses.
- The City is preparing vacant downtown space to launch a new incubator and co-working area in early 2019, with Ryerson University sharing best practices and lessons learned from the University’s extensive experience with innovation and incubation.
- Brampton is one of Canada’s fastest growing cities, adding 14,000 new residents every year.
- Brampton is home to new ideas and energy as one of Canada’s youngest cities, with an average age of 36.5 compared to 39.7 for the GTA, 41.0 for Ontario, and a nationwide average age of 41.0.
Brampton is thinking bigger. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instill pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.