BRAMPTON, ON – The City of Brampton, in partnership with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs, will host an information session on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, for potential candidates and third party advertisers in the 2018 Municipal Election.
The info session will take place from 6:30 to 9 pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton.
The session will provide an overview of key requirements, including candidate and third party advertiser eligibility and responsibilities, nomination and registration process, campaign finances, as well as information on key dates and resources.
• The session is open to anyone who is considering running as a candidate, or registering as a third party advertiser in the 2018 Municipal Election
• Registration is compulsory as there is limited seating – please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register and indicate if you are a potential candidate or third party advertiser
• Information on becoming a candidate or third party advertiser can be found here
• Candidate nomination period opens on May 1 and closes on July 27
• Third party advertiser registration opens on May 1 and closes on October 19
• Voting Day is October 22
• The next information session for nominated candidates and registered third parties will be held in September 2018
• For more information, contact Shauna Danton, Elections Coordinator, at 905.874.3952
"Recent changes to the Municipal Elections Act include the addition of new provisions, such as third party advertising rules and required elector endorsement of candidate nominations for Council. As these will be implemented for the first time in 2018, the information session will help potential candidates gain a better understanding of what is required of them should they choose to file their nomination, and will also help potential third party advertisers learn about registration requirements."
- Peter Fay, City Clerk, and Returning Officer for 2018 Brampton Municipal Election
Brampton is thinking bigger.
We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instill pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter
. Learn more at www.brampton.ca