Sharpened focus on six key initiatives move the city forward
BRAMPTON, ON: Today, Brampton City Council reinforced their commitment to building a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold, by sharpening the focus of their 2016-2018 Strategic Plan.
The time for Brampton is now. Since the Strategic Plan was approved, new opportunities are shaping Brampton as an urban city, a hub for jobs and innovation, and a global leader. There is excitement over Brampton’s links to the innovation super-corridor. Federal and Provincial funding has accelerated City projects. The Ontario government announced a university for Brampton. Peel Memorial Integrated Health and Wellness Centre opened. Four transit/mobility hubs are in development. Skilled workforce and transportation opportunities are being seized.
“Building a strong foundation of best practices across the corporation has been a central priority for this Council since 2014. We now have a sharper focus on being innovative. We must continue to disrupt the status quo in our City in order to succeed in an increasingly competitive global market,”
said Mayor Linda Jeffrey.
Council and staff have heard from many voices: to move Brampton forward the City needs to be future ready, thinking bigger about opportunities that fuel its vibrancy. Six big initiatives within the Strategic Plan are now unanimously recognized by Council as potential game-changers for Brampton:
• Regional Transit Connections – seamless integration of local and regional transit options.
• University – solidifies Brampton’s place as a growing, innovative and well-connected city.
• Health Partnerships – building relations among health providers, and growing health and science investments.
• Riverwalk – revitalizing the Etobicoke Creek addresses flood risks in the downtown while adding public green space, with awesome potential for urban growth.
• Urban Centre – creative, productive urban spaces encourage civic pride, develop a sense of belonging, and support safety.
• Planning Vision – understanding what Brampton can – and will be – in be in 25+ years, and the critical first steps to get there.
“The transformational shift underway in our operations is foundational to enable our laser focus. Council has set the stage for stronger investments in our people, agility in our processes, and healthier relations with government partners,” said Harry Schlange, Chief Administrative Officer. “The people who live here in Brampton make the community great, and they deserve great work from us. We not only want people to proudly stay in Brampton – we want people to move here and do business too.”
Brampton is thinking bigger. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus. We know our community’s growth, youth and diversity set us apart. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building vibrant urban centres that ignite opportunity and instil pride in the people who live and work here. We are moving Brampton forward to be a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Learn more at www.brampton.ca.
City of Brampton
905.874.3654 | email@example.com