We’re building change in Brampton.
The urban centre we serve is one of the youngest, fastest growing, most diverse cities in the country. We’re aiming high and thinking big, to position Brampton as an emergent global city of the future.
Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity and agility. We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited and empowered to deliver results for Brampton.
We are seeking a
Senior Manager, Urban Design
As our Senior Manager, Urban Design, you are a leader who excels within a diversified team of highly specialized professionals with an exceptional capacity for Urban Design. Your approach is centered on collaboration rooted in a multidisciplinary process that facilitates the development of productive, livable, connected, healthy, sustainable communities. You understand and can deliver the vision for a vibrant, attractive city on the global stage that is a place for people.
As a key member of the leadership team, you will participate in strategic planning at both the divisional level and the broader City-wide strategy.
- Lead urban design services including: urban design comments on development applications; architectural control compliance review; special projects and city initiated urban design studies.
- Lead the development, update, and implementation of development design guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Accountable for urban design policy development for the Official Plan review and implementation, secondary and block plans.
- Responsible for leading urban design advocacy initiatives including workshops and charrettes, education and information sessions for internal and external stakeholders and showcasing quality projects in Brampton through Urban Design Awards program and other projects.
- Provide recommendations on managing critical issues and risks.
- Contribute as a member of the management team in the formulation of philosophy, mission, corporate goals and objectives related to the provision of excellent services and programs.
- Lead, coach, consult, mentor and influence staff to promote effective employee relations and encourage innovation, productivity and service excellence while driving results through planned goals, objectives and deliverables.
- Establish clear and appropriate governance to effectively manage programs and services.
- Facilitate performance management with coaching, feedback and formal reviews.
- Provide expertise and guidance to internal and external stakeholders on specialized enquiries and convey complex issues to influence decision-making.
- Collaborate with leaders in the division to align initiatives.
- Ensure that the Urban Design team is providing a high quality of service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and foster strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external customers, stakeholders, consultants, business and community leaders, municipal and provincial partners, public to meet the Strategic Plan goals and objectives.
- Communicate effectively and establish links with stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative solutions and strategies.
- Convey technical complex information for information sharing and decision making.
- Prepare, present reports and advise Council and management on urban design matters.
- Represent the City on urban design matters that directly or indirectly affect the City of Brampton.
- Keep abreast of emerging best practices and policies for developing and implementing urban design solutions.
- Maintain knowledge of all laws, regulatory, judicial mandates, ordinances, legislative acts, codes and by-laws set out by Federal, Provincial or Municipal levels of government.
- Monitor and manage the budget, ensuring approvals and spending are consistent with operating objectives to ensure budget compliance.
- Manage overall financial budgeting for projects.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
Teamwork and Collaboration
- Foster engagement, debate and discuss building of consensus to achieve Strategic Plan goals and objectives.
- Work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve Strategic Plan goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrate success developing and implementing multi-faceted plans for diverse stakeholders with wide-ranging impacts.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
Check out this video of what employees have to say about working at the City of Brampton: Join Our Team Video.
For more information regarding the role and to apply now, click here.