The My Main Street Local Business Accelerator is a data-driven community economic development program focused on revitalizing main streets with a healthy retail mix while generating local economic opportunities.
The My Main Street Local Business Accelerator is currently supporting the revitalization of 65 main streets across southern Ontario. Communities participating in the Local Business Accelerator program receive deep data insights and a dedicated My Main Street Ambassador who supports their main street by providing insight, advice, and support to their local businesses. The program focuses on creating and maintaining vibrant and inclusive local main streets while providing residents, new entrepreneurs, and existing businesses with economic opportunities in our main street communities.
The six areas serviced in Brampton by My Main Street Ambassadors are:
Uptown - Hurontario Street
*Home based businesses are not eligible for this
program. Your business must be in a commercial business zone in one of
the identified main street areas - see above.
Market Research Support
This market research will provide detailed analysis to support your business – including demographic, spending, mobility, and media behaviours of residents within your local trade area.
With this market research, you can better understand your customers and identify how to find more of them. Plus, after completing the market research, your business will be eligible to receive up to $10,000 as a non-repayable contribution to support the implementation of any recommendations. To participate in the program, your business must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be physically located in one of the participating My Main Street communities (View map).
- Must be a registered business in Ontario.
- Must be an independent local business with less than 10 employees (or less than 25 employees if a restaurant; franchises and corporate chains do not qualify).
This program is completely free and funded by the Government of Canada. To participate in the program, please complete the following form
and your local Main Street Ambassador will reach out to you to begin the process.
Business Funding Support
As part of the My Main Street Local Business Accelerator, new and existing businesses located in participating communities can access business support from their Main Street ambassador. including the My Main Street non-repayable funding contribution of $10,000 to start or grow their business.
To access this support please connect with your My Main Street Ambassador. Use this map
to identify your community, and click on the pin to view your Ambassador's name and email address and contact them directly. Alternatively, you can find your Main Street Ambassador's email using the community directory
or click on the link above if you know the community your business is located in.
To be eligible for consideration, all businesses must meet the following criteria:
- Be physically located in a participating main street community at the time of funding.
- Be open to the public for walk-in and on-site purchase of goods or services; or be ready to open at time of funding (within COVID protocols).
- Be an independent local business with under 10 employees (25 if a restaurant).
- Pay commercial property tax (commercially assessed) either directly or through commercial rent.
- Be a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, co-operative, or social enterprise.
- Have a business bank account in the registered name of the business.
- Be owned by an Ontario resident, operating in Ontario.
- Be owned by a person 18 years of age or older at the time of application and be a Canadian resident or permanent resident.
- Submit only one (1) application per business (includes businesses with multiple locations or owners with multiple businesses).
- Have completed and reviewed a market research report provided by My Main Street prior to applying. Apply here to receive a market research report for your business.
The following types of businesses will be ineligible for consideration:
- Distributorships or franchises, including those independently owned and operated.
- Businesses operating within shared workspaces such as a hot desk or dedicated desks.
- Businesses that are purely online, multi-level marketing or pay-per-click.
- Part-time or seasonal businesses.
- Government-owned entities or social service providers.
Priority will be given to applicants of equity-seeking groups, including Francophone, women, Indigenous, racialized groups, Black communities, newcomers, immigrants and refugees, youth (39 and under), people living with disabilities or 2SLGBTQ+.