Call for Activations: Winter Lights Weekend
Celebrate the holiday season with Brampton's 2019 Winter Lights Festival. The Cultural Services Division is excited to release a call for performers for and artists for our annual event to kick off to the holidays.
Location: Downtown Brampton
Deadline to Apply: October 14, 2019
Notification of Approval: October 21, 2019
What Are We Looking For?
We are looking for Performers and Artists to create compelling and unique whimsical experiences for the City of Brampton’s 2019 Winter Lights Festival during the Tree Lighting Ceremony.
Activations will be selected based on artistic merit, originality, and their ability to integrate within the festival's scale, spirit, and energy. They will be curated based on their ability to enhance the overall festival experience, may be local, regional, or national, and may range in a variety of media including (but not limited to):
- Visual Arts: interactive light installations, displays, or photo opportunities for Instagrammable moments
- Dance: traditional, classical, and contemporary dance styles
- Multi-/Inter-Arts: unique collaborations across art forms
- Music: pop-up performances in a variety of styles and genres
- Theatre: theatre for young audiences, clowns, puppetry
The City of Brampton prioritizes the following when reviewing applications:
- Demonstrates high-quality artistic expression
- Engages audience interaction through a shared cultural experience and/or photographable moments
- Considerate of public safety and visibility. Art pieces must be able to be safely performed or executed outdoors amongst large crowds present at all hours and weather conditions
- Artists working collaboratively (ie. more than one artist working on the submission piece) (Note: please choose one artist's contact information when applying)
- Demonstrates a strong connection to the City of Brampton and celebrates Canadian heritage & history
Note: Performance-based activities are not required to be on-site for the full duration of the event.
Each project selected will be allocated an artist’s fee of $500 in line with standardized industry rates. Costs for materials and production may be considered as part of the proposal up to an additional maximum of $1,500.
Infrastructure such as tents, tables, or chairs may be made available dependent on the scope of the activity/presentation.
Marketing and Communications:
The City of Brampton will implement a detailed marketing and communications plan including print materials, paid advertising, social media that may highlight participating artists and arts organizations leading up to the festival, and during the event. Selected artists and performers will be asked to provide marketing materials to facilitate this promotion.
Selected performers and artists will be identified as official Winter Lights Festival curatorial selections/programming partners of the event.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of City of Brampton staff and evaluated based on the criteria indicated above. The submission of an application form does not guarantee participation, as space is limited.
Successful applicants will be contacted directly by October 21, 2019 following the evaluation process and will be required to sign a service contract with the City of Brampton.
Submission Package Requirements
The following submission requirements will be requested in the Application Form noted below.
- Contact information/website
- Artist CV/Organization mission & mandate
- Artist's statement and conceptual statement of the proposed work
- Practical explanation of the work including:
- Description of proposed project
- Additional setup required by the City to execute your activity
- Estimated budget outlining project materials and production costs (ie. materials, equipment, etc.)
- 3-5 photos/renderings/sketches of proposed work, where applicable
- 3-5 support images of previous work relevant to the proposed project and/or YouTube videos for performers
Successful applicants will be notified by October 21, 2019.