The Citizens of the Year Awards recognizes Brampton volunteers who have demonstrated all-around community involvement rather than specific activity or contribution. This award is given to individuals who build communities and show what can be achieved with passion and determination. Presented to a youth, adult and senior citizen.
- Must be a resident of the City of Brampton
- Cannot be an elected official, a resident planning to run for municipal/regional council, or be staff of the City of Brampton
- Must be a current and active volunteer in the community
- Must present a positive image of the City of Brampton, can be viewed as a role model who consistently demonstrates responsible behaviour
- Has contributed to eh enrichment of the social, cultural or civic life of the Brampton community
- Participates regularly in community projects
- Shows evidence of on-going leadership and dedication
- A youth is considered 18 years of age and younger. An adult is considered to be 19 years of age and older. A senior is considered to be 65 years of age and older.
- One individual will be selected in each of the Citizen of the Year Award categories.
- The nomination form must be accompanied by a letter of no more than two (2) pages, detailing the recent or ongoing activities or contributions of the nominee in the City of Brampton. These activities should demonstrate all-round community involvement rather than a specific activity or contribution.
- Contributions must be voluntary, but can be related to an individual’s expertise from training, work experience or education.
- The individual has helped to improve the quality of life in Brampton and/or have made an impact on Brampton in arts and culture, sport or community projects.
- Nominees should support the City of Brampton’s Strategic Plan in moving the City forward by building strong communities. The goals of strong communities include:
- Celebrate citizens and create partnerships through arts, culture and social interaction
- Create connected spaces in the heart of the city for people to live, work and play.
- Support diversity and enable wellness through health and recreation
- Nominees must have made a significant impact to be eligible.
- Self-nominations and nominations of family members are not accepted.
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.