The Brampton Guardian selects and presents the Ken Giles Amateur Athlete of the Year Award to an outstanding individual whose involvement in sport has had a significant impact and/or an exceptional achievement at the amateur level of their respective sport. This outstanding individual should not only achieve athletic success but also exemplify sportsmanship, commitment, honesty, discipline and perseverance within their competitive sport. For the purpose of this award, sports and fitness are defined as those activities requiring physical conditioning and/or refinement of motor skills allowing competitive excellence to be achieved.
- The nominees will be reviewed and recommended by staff from the Brampton Guardian, as appropriate.
- An individual receiving an award must have been a resident of the City of Brampton during the time of their accomplishment. However, international competitors temporarily relocated outside of the city may be nominated for this award.
- Nominees must be deemed amateur by their national or international governing sports body. Nominees must not receive remuneration for their participation in the sport with the exception of honourariums and grants.
- Athletes will be assessed in the following areas:
Level of competition
Level of performance
Standard of achievement
- The championships recognized for eligibility at the Provincial, National or International level will be those championships awarded by that sport’s governing body. Olympic competition qualifies. Regional, divisional, district, or academic championships do not qualify. Tournaments do not qualify.
- When multiple recognitions are awarded to an individual or team, the recipient(s) will receive one award that recognizes all achievements.
- Brampton residents who are temporarily residing outside of Brampton because they are attending school or training for their sport will also be considered for the award.
- In absence of a nomination from the Brampton Guardian, the Selection Committee may rank individuals from the Sports Achievement-Individual category and forward the top three nominations to the Brampton Guardian for consideration of the Ken Giles Amateur Athlete of the Year Award.